Help Your 2-3 Year Old Child “Get Ready to Read”
These suggestions are adapted from
A Child Becomes a Reader-Birth Through Pre-School
- Read to your child every day, even if it is only for a few minutes.
- Encourage your child to bring her favorite book to you to read together.
- Point to pictures and name them out loud.
- Encourage your child to point to pictures as you read.
- Watch to see if your child makes eye contact with you as you read aloud. This tells you if he is paying attention to you and to the story.
- Talk with your child throughout the day. Talk about things you are doing, things that you see, and things that are happening around you.
- Try to be patient when your child wants to read the same book over and over again.
- Encourage your child to play with books - pick them up and flip through the pages.
- Listen as you child “pretends to read. She may hold the book flip from page to page and say words - even if they are not the words on the page.
- Give your child paper and crayons and encourage him to scribble, make pictures and pretend to write.