About Salem's ELL Program
Background: The Salem Public Schools consist of a diverse student population where more than 37 languages are represented, including Spanish, Portuguese, Albanian, Vietnamese, and Arabic. We are committed to providing English Language Learners with equal access to the curriculum.
ELL Program: The Salem Public Schools English Language Learning (ELL) program will focus on all four domains of English Language Development: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. ESL teachers will collaborate with classroom teachers to enable English Language Learners to achieve high standards to be successful at the post-secondary level, when entering the workforce, and for life-long learning.
Mission: The mission of the ELL Program for English Language Learners is to provide instruction in English Language Development (ELD) and sheltered content instruction in all grade-level subject areas.
Vision: The vision of the ELL Program is to improve the academic achievement of English Language Learners while developing academic language in all content areas.
Values: The values of the Salem Public Schools ELL Program are:
- Appreciate and value all languages, cultures, and heritages
- Provide all students with Highly Qualified Teachers
- Create a flexible learning environment where the needs of students are accommodated through differentiated instruction, and at the same time academic rigor is the norm for all
- Value the commitment and camaraderie of a professional learning community
- Create a lifelong love of learning
Goals: The goals of the ELL Program are to prepare students to be productive citizens within the English speaking community. This will be accomplished by providing students with support so that:
- Students will learn to communicate effectively in all domains of English (listening, speaking, reading, and writing) in relationship to career choices, social relationships, and lifelong learning
- Students should be held to high standards and high expectations, regardless of their language, cultural, or educational background
- Students cultural and linguistic backgrounds should be viewed as an asset